Pages

Powered By Blogger

Mar 3, 2016

Book Review: Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler


Book: Vinegar Girl
Author: Anne Tyler
Publisher: Hogarth an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC, NY
Format: Good Old Print
Pages: 235

I had the wonderful opportunity to read Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler. It is a stated remaking of Taming of the Shrew.

The story revolves around Kate, a young woman who lives with her father and younger sister and whos life revolves around them. Her father is a scientist who works at a nearby college campus. His assistant Pyotr is in a pickle with immigration and her father comes up with a schme that involves Kate that will change her life completely.

The main thing that I dislike about this book is that it was a little to fast. I enjoyed reading it and was able to do so in one sitting but I would love to read the story with more detail in the "after". It does hold true and closes the story out without leaving much questions but I think it would be great for the author to have a how and when after the main event.

I love the fact that the title comes from an old saying " You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." But, Why would you want to catch flies? I also enjoy the fact that the author kept the accent as written which makes you have to read it in an accent in your mind ( or at least I did).

This is a good retelling just wish there was more after the main event.